Boulevard Baptist Church, 2006 Mission Boulevard, Fayetteville, Arkansas
Scripture quotations and answers are from the King James Version of the Bible.
Searching for God
The desire to know God has driven every generation of humanity to search for their Creator. Out of frustration, some give up their search deeming it to be futile. Others, due to impatience and desperation, settle for man-made religions and gods or devise self-styled philosophies of life to ease their consciences of the burden of not knowing Him. Still, others choose a form of escape such as drugs, alcohol, and entertainment, rather than continue their search for God. A few attempt to deny that God exists. Regardless of the approach one takes to deal with his need to know God, there is no satisfaction and peace of mind short of finding God. This Bible study will show you how you can find God and know Him personally.
When searching for God, what must you do?
o Deuteronomy 4:29
o Psalm 46:10
o Luke 11:9-10
What can you expect from your search for God?
o Isaiah 1:18
o Jeremiah 29:13
According to 1 John 5:13
o What can you know?
o Why did John write these things?
Do you know for sure, without doubt, that you will spend eternity with God in heaven?
It is possible to know that you will have eternal life with God in heaven. First John 5:13 tells you that you can know. If you trust Jesus Christ with 100% confidence, then you can have 100% confidence that you have eternal life. Knowing God personally settles the issue of doubt in your mind. If you died tonight, are you 100% certain that you would go to heaven? To know for sure, consider the following five truths.
Five Biblical truths to know God, personally and forever.
1. God is righteous.
o According to Daniel 9:14, God is ________ in all His ways.
o Because God is so pure and righteous, He cannot look upon __________. (Habakkuk 1:13)
o What will not be in heaven? (Revelation 21:27) _________
o Based on this information, how good do you have to be to go to heaven? __________
o Do you know anyone good enough, by Godís standards, to go to heaven? __________
The first and most important thing to know is that God is righteous. Because God is pure and righteous, He cannot stand to look at sin. He cannot stand to be in the presence of sin. He cannot tolerate or condone sin in any way. Thus, heaven, being Godís home, is perfect in every way. There is no sin in heaven. There are no imperfections or flaws in heaven. Based on this information, how good does one have to be to go to heaven?
2. Man is unrighteous.
- What does Romans 3:10 say about you and everyone else?
- What does Romans 3:23 say about you and everyone else?
- What does God think about all the good things that you have done? (Isaiah 64:6) __________
- How was Abraham not justified in the eyes of God? (Romans 4:2) __________
- How are we not justified before God? (Galatians 2:26 and 3:11) __________
- How are you not saved? (Ephesians 2:8-9) __________
The Bible tells us that no one is good enough to go to heaven because everyone has sinned and no one is righteous. In fact, Jesus said that no one but God is good. This means that no one is qualified to go to heaven. Because of the bad things you have done, all the good that you have done is in vain. To get into heaven, you have to be perfect. God will not allow sin of any kind into heaven. Though many try to be as good as possible, they will never be good enough to measure up to Godís standards. All attempts to be good enough are futile. This is bad news. This means that no one is qualified to go to heaven. If you do not go to heaven, where will you go?
3. God will judge sin.
- According to Romans 6:23, what is the consequence of sin? __________
- Who ends up in the lake of fire and brimstone? (Revelations 21:8) __________
- Have you ever told a lie? __________
- If you disagree with God in any way, who is the liar? (Romans 3:4) __________
- According to Revelation 20:13-15, what is the judgment of the condemned based on? __________
- When does judgment take place? (Hebrews 9:27) __________
- If you died right now, where would you go?
Because God cannot tolerate sin in His presence, He must separate Himself from it. Therefore, everyone who sins must be separated from God. The Bible calls this separation the second death. Those who die the second death experience the fires of hell forever. Any hope for escaping the second death must be done before you die. Once you die, your fate is sealed. Based upon this lesson up to this point, if you were to die right now, where would you spend eternity?
4. Jesus Christ offers help.
- According to John 3:16, why did God give His Son? __________
- According to Romans 5:8:
i. God showed His __________ toward us when Christ died for us.
ii. What are the wages of sin? __________
iii. What did Christ do? __________
- Jesus Christ makes it possible for you to be __________ of your sins. (Acts 13:38) __________
- Who is the only way, the only truth, and the only life for you? (John 14:6) __________
No one likes to think about going to hell, but when you realize that you must be perfect and sinless to go to heaven, you know that you are doomed unless God comes to your rescue. The only thing you can do is cry out for help. Fortunately, God is merciful, and He has provided for you a way to escape sin and eternal death. He loves you and wants only the best for you. This is why He wants you to hear the good news about His Son, Jesus Christ.
Jesus Christ volunteered to die for you. God requires that all wrongdoing (sin) be punished. However, He does not require that you pay for your sins if you can find someone willing to pay for them on your behalf. Jesus willingly offered Himself as a sacrifice to pay for your sins so that you could have life. Why would He do that for you? Love. Nothing but love motivated Him to suffer eternal death for you.
- What prevents you from entering heaven? __________
- Why do you think Jesus is the only one through whom salvation comes? (Acts 4:12)? __________
5. You can be saved.
- According to 2 Peter 3:9, God is not willing that any should __________.
- According to 1 Timothy 2:4, Godís will is that __________ be saved.
- Who does God draw and invite to be saved? (John 12:32)
- According to Romans 10:13, __________ believes on Christ will be __________.
Jesus has paid for your sins and wants to give you eternal life. He only requires that you accept His invitation to save you. Surrender your life to Him. Let Him take care of you. Believe in His love for you. When you believe in Him and in His message, you will gladly trust Him to be your God and Lord over your life. When you repent of your sins, He will forgive you. When you trust Him, He will change you and make you a new, clean spirit inside. When you accept His invitation, He will give you eternal life.
- According to Luke 13:3, if you do not ___________, you will perish.
- Repentance involves __________. (2 Corinthians 7:9-10)
- If you confess your sins to God, He will __________ you and __________you from __________ unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
- According to John 3:18, until you believe in Jesus Christ, what is your fate? __________
- What was the answer to the question: ďSirs, what must I do to be saved? (Acts 16:30-31) __________
Personal questions for you to ask yourself
Are you willing to confess and repent of your sins?
Are you convinced that Jesus wants to forgive you?
Do you believe He will forgive and change you?
Jesus Christ wants you to know that you can receive His forgiveness and His help. He does not want you to die. But, the choice is yours. He will not force His desire on you.
If you want eternal life and desire to surrender your life to Jesus Christ, pray right now, and accept Jesusí offer of forgiveness and gift of eternal life.
When the Spirit of God comes to you and challenges you with the message of salvation, you will experience a desire to give your life to Christ. However, a part of you will resist the Spirit of God. At this point, you are being called to make a choice. Will you give you life to Christ, or will you give your life to sin?
If you have prayed to God to accept His gift of salvation (repentant and surrendered to Him), He has given you eternal life. According to the Bible, whoever calls on the name of the Lord will be saved!
- According to 1 John 5:13, what can you know? ________________
Contact the Mission Boulevard Baptist Church or the Collegiate Discipleship Ministry and request more Bible study materials. If you have recently been saved, request the booklets, Facts for New Christians and Follow-up Lessons for Spiritual Growth. You will discover that the Christian life is the very best thing that could ever happen to you.
Want to learn more about the Gospel message of Jesus Christ? Check out The Gospel Truth Series below!
The Gospel Truth Series
1. Knowing God Personally
2. Designed to be Spiritual
3. The Reason for Human Suffering and Death
4. God Is the Answer
5. You Can Be Saved
6. The Born Again Experience
Mission Blvd. Baptist Church
2006 Mission Blvd., Fayetteville, AR 72702